17 April 2010

this weeks sewing project - water bottle belt



I had decided that I needed to start carrying water with me and Droopy (dog) on our hikes every Saturday and Sunday. Started looking at EMS ($40) belts, Sierra Trading Post ($30) and finally decided I had the basic skills to build my own. This is the first prototype. Bottle holder is made from the center section of a 2L soda bottle, covered with material. Adjustable for different size water bottles.

Works and rides pretty well (first hike today with it). Things to make it better...

1 - hold two bottles - one for me (fruit punch additive) and one for Droopy (regular water).

2 - wider belt on hip bones. This one is padded and that is great. I really never felt it on. But with two bottles of water, wider belt at the hips would better secure the belt for the added weight.

3 - storage pouch zipper on top. This zipper is below the top. I loaded it with a Cliff bar, my cell phone and my keys which fit fine, but loading and unloading felt safer when the belt was off me.

4 - clip for keys

5 - zipper across top of belt between bottles. opening zipper reveals 2 straps for holding a coat or windbreaker.

No comments: